Thursday 31 December 2015

"Star Wars" creator compares Disney to "White Slavers"




George Lucas has compared the $4bn sale of Star Wars to selling off his ‘kids to the white slavers’ as he complains Disney ignored his ideas when making box office smash Force Awakens.


The legendary franchise creator appears a little bitter about Disney’s decision to dismiss his story outline for the next movie – which has now become the fastest movie to make $1 billion at cinemas across the world.


Lucas said that Disney were more concerned with making a ‘retro’ movie to please the fans than staying true to his sci-fi ‘soap opera’.


In a recent interview with CBS This Morning, Lucas said he and Disney had gone their separate ways after it became clear the entertainment conglomerate didn’t want his input.


‘People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships.


‘They decided they were going to do their own thing,’ he said. ‘They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway — but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do.


‘And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up,’ he said. ‘And so I said, ‘OK, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’


The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars movie the legendary filmmaker has not been involved in, after he sold his company Lucas Film to Disney for $4 billion in 2012.


He said that he had treated selling off the Star Wars movies as like going through a ‘break-up’.


‘When you break up with somebody the first rule is no phone calls,’ he said. ‘Every time you do something like that you’re opening the old wounds again you have to just put it behind you. And it’s very, very, very hard to do.’


The ‘father’ of Star Wars appeared to be struggling with the ‘break-up.’


After almost forty years with the franchise, he said he still thought of the moves as his children.


‘These are my kids, I loved them. I created them. I’m very intimately involved with them.’


When challenged why he sold off his ‘children’ to Disney he replied: ‘I sold them to the white slavers that takes these things, and… ‘before the filmmaker caught himself.


Aside from a difference in opinions over the focus of The Force Awakens and the next two films, Lucas had concerns that he might be too old to tackle a whole new trilogy which he said takes ten years to do properly.


‘I’m 70, I don’t know if I’ll be here when I’m 80,’ he explained.


He has also complained in the past that making a new Star Wars film was tough because it’s ‘not much fun’ being criticized by fans.


The creator of the legendary films is not involved in the new film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which will be directed by JJ Abrams.


‘You go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized. And it’s not much fun,’ Lucas told Vanity Fair. ‘You can’t experiment.’


Lucas says that his epic sagas are behind him for good. He hopes to focus on a series of much smaller experimental films.


While Lucas might be unhappy with The Force Awakens, new owners Disney are likely to be delighted after it became ninth-highest box office performer ever with $1.23 billion in global box office receipts.



Source: Daily Mail




"Star Wars" creator compares Disney to "White Slavers"

No comments:

Post a Comment